So many of us book a winter get away as part of our work-life balance. For many it’s finding warmth and sunshine but others love the adventures of a winter wonderland. This year is strange. COVID-19 has made it more difficult to plan that annual escape. One minute it seems like it can happen, the next minute travel advisories are being put in place and flights are being cancelled.
It’s frustrating. We know. But we are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, at least as it relates to travel insurance and giving you peace of mind if you decide to take a trip. We’re getting lots of calls and questions like ‘will I be covered if I get COVID-19 while I’m away?’ And ‘what happens if a travel advisory is put in place before I come home?”.
Many of our insurance partners now have plans that include COVID-19 coverage but they are not all the same. If you are thinking of travelling it will be important for you to understand the coverage you are purchasing.
Things you want your broker to look for:
- How do Government of Canada travel advisories impact your COVID-19 insurance and other assistance plans?
- What if you test positive for COVID-19 while you’re away?
- Do you receive any benefits if you test positive while you’re away and have to quarantine but not be hospitalized?
- Are your children eligible for COVID-19 coverage?
- Is COVID-19 covered under a separate policy or is it an add on to the basic travel policy you normally buy?
- Is there a deductible?
- If your quarantine time extends your stay, how does coverage work?
- Does the COVID-19 coverage apply to in country travel as well as out-of-country?
- Are you required to complete a medical questionnaire to determine eligibility?
We realize this may be overwhelming. As insurance brokers we are seeing things change daily as our insurance partners build travel insurance solutions to help our customers. It’s heart warming to see the insurance community pull together to help people gain peace of mind about travelling again.
Our brokers will help you select a plan that will work for you and that will provide you the best value. That’s our job.